The 2011-12 rainy season — which ran from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012 — has come to an end with less than impressive numbers, according to figures compiled by the National Weather Service. None of the six key sights where the weather service records long term precipitation reported above average rainfall.
- San Diego – 8.03″ (avg. – 10.34″)
- Orange County – 6.32″ (avg. – 13.33″)
- Riverside – 5.53″ (avg. – 12.04″)
- Los Angeles – 8.69″ (avg. – 14.93″)
The season that starts today could be different. The U.S. Climate Prediction Center says that an El Nino appears to be developing in the eastern equatorial Pacific. If the periodic climate change system continues to strengthen, it could lead to above average rainfall this winter in Southern California.
Source – Gary Robbins, U-T San Diego
On Friday, a historic, record-setting heat wave covered a sprawling region from the Midwest to the Southeast. All-time high temperatures records of 109 were established in Nashville and Columbia, South, Carolina and tied in Raleigh and Charlotte which hit 105 and 104. Here in Washington, D.C., the mercury climbed to an astonishing 104 degrees (breaking the previous record set in 1874 and 2011 by two degrees), our hottest June day in 142 years of records.
…the coverage and availability of this heat energy was vast, sustaining the storms on their 600 mile northwest to southeast traverse. The storms continually ingested the hot, humid air and expelled it in violent downdrafts – crashing into the ground at high speeds and spreading out, sometimes accelerating further.
Peak wind gusts in the D.C. region include the following:
71 mph near Dulles Airport
70 mph in Damascus, Md.
79 mph in Reston, Va.
65 mph in Rockville, Md.
70 mph at Reagan National Airport
76 mph in Seat Pleasant, Md. (Prince George’s co.)
77 mph in Swan Point, Md. (Charles co.)
70 mph in Ashburn, Va.
69 mph in Leesburg, Va.
In addition, an 80 mph gust was clocked in Fredericksburg. To the north and west, 91 mph and 72 mph gusts were measured in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and Columbus, Ohio
Via – Capital Weather Gang
Video of the NEXRAD Radar showing the ring of fire Derecho:
// Thx – Doyen
Silicon Beach Fest is LA’s first festival organized by its tech community to celebrate LA tech, entertainment & startups with panels, keynotes, workshops, mixers, and more at a dozen venues focused in Santa Monica and Venice on June 21-23, 2012. Head to the beach on the first weekend of summer to celebrate LA’s digital innovators!
Follow @SBFestLA – #SBF.
Fest attendees and speakers include: invited celebs, start-ups, VCs, movie and music studio execs, agencies, fashion, content creators, artists, social media gurus, developers, etc. from LA, Silicon Valley, etc.
Learn more – Silicon Beach Feast
Of all the events, the most exciting is Angel Pitch Day, with Nate Werlin of Venture Beat judging:
Got an idea? Want to pitch it to the angels and get feedback?
Then Angel Pitch Day is the event for you. If your idea is selected, you will get to participate at Angel Pitch Day where you will have an opportunity to pitch your idea to a live audience of angel investors.
You will have 2 minutes to deliver your pitch, then you will get candid feedback from top angels on your idea. Hear what they have to say and their insights into how you can improve your idea.
The most dominant social network for each country:
Facebook clearly dominates, but a few countries have other favorites:
– VKontakte and Odnoklassniki remain strong in Russian-speaking countries
– Tencent’s QZone is still king of the hill in China
– Vietnam’s most popular social network is Zing
– People in Iran seemingly prefer Cloob over Facebook
– Drauglem is the top dog in Latvia
The Los Angeles Film Festival has announced its full line-up for 2012, which will screen a diverse slate of nearly 200 feature films, short films, and music videos, representing more than 30 countries, along with signature programs such as the Filmmaker Retreat, Poolside Chats, Coffee Talks, music events and more.
Items of note:
- Opening Night – Woody Allen’s To Rome With Love.
- Closing Night – Magic Mike, directed by Steven Soderbergh, written by Reid Carolin and starring Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey.
- Dirty Dancing – Dance-A-Long at California Plaza on June 22 at 7pm to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the film.
- Community Screenings – E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982), Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982).
- Music Video Showcase – consists of two programs. Eclectic Mix is a visual mix tape of this year’s best independent music videos. A Special Focus, DANIELS and Walter Robot go head to head in an event peppered with music videos, shorts, production secrets, feats of strength, audience challenges and possible mime.
Returning to downtown Los Angeles and headquartered at L.A. LIVE for a third year, the Festival will run from Thursday, June 14 to Sunday, June 24.
Passes are currently on sale – LAFilmFest.com.