The real question is who will pay for internet access in our cars. Will this be another charge on our cell phone or cable bill, like getting 3G on an iPad is?
“Intel claims that the connected car is the third-fastest growing technological device, following smartphones and tablets. For a car maker that offers huge potential.”
Audi has developed a built-in 3G wireless in its A7 and will extend it to other new models.
“The connected car concept is well and truly here,” added John Leech.
In-vehicle internet access is close to becoming reality, according to the world’s top car bosses.
The survey by KPMG looking at future trends shows speech recognition and internet connection with wi-fi and 3G will become the norm.
More than a third (37%) of the 200 car executives believe “infotainment” in cars is nearly as important as car safety.
Source: BBC - In-car internet ‘to become norm’ in survey about future
…The rest of the world is continuing to demand more broadband, and the industry of undersea cables and long haul broadband providers has spent up to $5.5 billion to meet that demand with new cables coming online in 2012 and 2013, according to TeleGeography.
The analysis firm released its latest submarine cable map that shows all of the new pipelines as well as what carious countries use and prices along major routes. The trend is clear. The world is coming online and these cables are the lifeblood of that online awakening. From the report:
As demand for international bandwidth continues to increase—growing 45 percent in 2011 — operators around the world are upgrading their existing network infrastructure and making substantial investments in new cable construction.
Source – A visual guide to undersea cables and their $5.5B price tag
An Arctic Circle view of the world’s undersea cables:
The President is set to sign an executive order today (June 13, 2012) that aims to cut the cost of broadband construction across federal roadways and properties by up to 90 percent. The White House is also is looking to improve “next-generation applications and (the) digital experience,” running on networks that are a heady 100 times faster than what’s in use today.
Called – U.S. Ignite – the partnership aims to push the growth of next-generation broadband networks, teaming up with over 100 start-ups, universities and existing tech companies like HP, Comcast and Verizon for the project.
The National Science Foundation has thrown in $250 million to assist the partnership’s creation of a national 1-gigabit network that would connect together academic and developer hubs.
Mozilla has decided to team up with the foundation to offer up a $500,000 prize pot for developers looking to help create the “internet of the future”.
Follow the U.S. Ignite program on: Facebook – Twitter
The owner of The Orange County Register announced today that the paper has been bought by 2100 Trust LLC, a privately-held company led by a Massachusetts investor who previously planned to buy The Boston Globe.
Today’s announcement is the latest in a major sea change in U.S. newspaper ownership as the industry struggles to adapt to the Internet age following years of plunging ad revenues and declining circulation.
A whole new group of media players has entered the scene, the most notable of which is billionaire Warren Buffett whose company, Berkshire Hathaway, said last month it would pay $142 million for 63 Media General newspapers.
Southern California’s media landscape is also being remade. Last year, Douglas F. Manchester, a San Diego developer and hotelier, bought the Union-Tribune from Platinum Equity, a Beverly Hills private equity firm. Manchester told online website Voice of San Diego he paid more than $110 million for the paper.
Changes may also be in the works at the Los Angeles Times whose owner, the Tribune Co., is going through what is expected to be the final stages of a nearly four-year bankruptcy.
Many experts think the creditors who will take over Tribune Co. after the bankruptcy will sell off its various properties including the Times.
Read the full story – Orange County Register company bought by private firm
Also, read the family history of The O.C. Register founders - Hoiles: Dynasty to bankruptcy
The CEO of AT&T Inc. said Friday that cellphone plans that count only data usage are likely to come in the next two years. In such a scenario, phone calls and texts would be considered as just another form of data.
Randall Stephenson didn’t say AT&T has such a plan in mind, but he suggested that someone in the industry will likely offer one.
Analysts see such plans as a logical extension of trends in wireless technology. Smartphones with data service can already use it for Internet phone calls and texting through services such as Skype.
Phone calls are also taking a back seat to other things people do with their smartphones. AT&T has been recording a decline in the average number of minutes used per month.
That is certainly true for my family where there are four of us sharing one 700 minute plan, and we rarely use the full minutes.