Imagine this for a food pyramid – topped off by dark chocolate and red wine, dairy nowhere to be seen, and fruits/vegetables as the foundation.
Dr. Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid – What Is It?
- It is a practical eating guide that consumers of all ages can use, with tips on how to reduce risks of age-related diseases and improve overall health through diet.
- It is an interactive educational graphic to help today’s families prevent disease while eating well.
- It is a simple tool that promotes optimum health and healthy aging by providing dietary advice that addresses inflammation.
What Does An Anti-Inflammatory Diet Do?
The anti-inflammatory diet is a blueprint for a lifetime of optimum nutrition. Simple changes in how you eat can help counteract chronic inflammation, a root cause of many serious diseases, including:
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases
- Age-related disorders, including many cancers
- Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus
How much: Sparingly
Healthy choices: Unsweetened dried fruit, dark chocolate, fruit sorbet
Why: Dark chocolate provides polyphenols with antioxidant activity. Choose dark chocolate with at least 70 percent pure cocoa and have an ounce a few times a week. Fruit sorbet is a better option than other frozen desserts.
How much: Optional, no more than 1-2 glasses per day
Healthy choices: Organic red wine
Why: Red wine has beneficial antioxidant activity. Limit intake to no more than 1-2 servings per day. If you do not drink alcohol, do not start.
Read the rest – Dr. Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid