What do Kelly Slater and Rick “Rockin’ Fig” Fignetti have in common?
Both surfers seem to be getting better with age.
Fig, as he’s known is the surf world, has been chasing after an NSSA Championship title for decades, and finally this week the 55-year-old was able to claim victory with not one, but two big National titles at the competition on the south side of the Huntington Beach Pier.
Fig is a well-known figure around the community and the voice of surfing, his unique and quirky voice recognizable from blaring through speakers at the U.S. Open or from his 20-year stint as the surf reporter on KROQ. He was inducted two years ago in the Surfing Walk of Fame as the “Local Hero,” and has one of the original surf shops in town.
But in the water, Fig is also a fierce competitor. He competed in the first NSSA National Championships in 1978, making the final 35 years ago. He got fourth, but that result gave him something to strive for.
Keep reading – After 35 years, Rockin’ Fig claims two NSSA National Championships
Continue reading Rockin Fig wins two NSSA Championship titles
MLE – Major League Eating is the world body that oversees all professional eating contests. The organization, which developed competitive eating and includes the sport’s governing body, the International Federation of Competitive Eating, helps sponsors to develop, publicize and execute world-class eating events in all varieties of food disciplines.
The world’s top competitive eating stars — such as Joey Chestnut, Sonya Thomas, Patrick Bertoletti, Eater X Tim and Bob Shoudt — are all Major League Eaters.
MLE conducts approximately 80 events annually, including the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest, and generate more than a billion consumer impressions worldwide each year.
- World Boneless Buffalo Wing Eating Championship
- World Slugburger Eating Championship
- World Pulled-Pork Sandwich Eating Championship
- Rib-Mania Eating Championship
- Oyster Eating World Championship
- Pepperoni Roll World Eating Championship
- World Gyro eating Championship
- Cheesesteak Eating Championship
- Sweet Corn Eating Championship
- Deep-fried Asparagus Eating Championship
- World Cupcake Eating Championship
- World Crawfish Eating Championship
- World Catfish Eating Championship
- World Class Corned Beef Eating Championship
- Cake Eating Championship
- PB&B Sandwich Eating Championship
- Meatball Eating Championship
- Pickle Eating World Championship
…and 100s more – MLE Eating Contests
Continue reading MLE – Major League Eating – championship contests for eating any kind of food
Total NCAA Championships through January 8, 2012
School – (Division)
Total Team Titles
- UCLA (I) – 108
- Stanford (I) – 102
- USC (I) – 94
- Abilene Christian (II) & Kenyon (III) – 57
- Oklahoma St. (I) – 50
- LSU (I) – 42
- Arkansas (I) – 41
- Penn St. (I) & Texas (I) – 40
Total Individual Titles
- Kenyon (III) – 506
- Stanford (I) – 439
- USC (I) – 363
- Abilene Christian (II) – 313
- Texas (I) – 310
- Michigan (I) – 290
- UCLA (I) – 262
- St. Augustine’s (II) – 238
- Ohio St. (I) – 228
- Florida (I) – 220