A final summary of the major changes under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) (aka Obamacare):
- Kids can continue to be covered by their parents’ health insurance until they’re 26.
- Insurers cannot impose an unreasonable premium increase without justification (generally anything less than 10% is ok).
- Insurers have to tell customers what they’re spending money on, (instead of just “administrative fee”, they have to be more specific) and those expenditures are required to follow the 80/20 rule:
- No more than 20% can be spent on administrative costs, minimum of 80% must go directly to patient care.
- A new website is made to give people insurance and health information – healthcare.gov
- Any new health plans must provide preventive care (mammograms, colonoscopies, etc.) without requiring any sort of co-pay or charge.
More from this series:
- Summary of Medicare reforms
- Summary of Medicaid expansion and costs
- The individual mandate: penalty and subsidies