From the AWEA press release:
The 50 gigawatts (GW) online today means that U.S 원광 만세력 다운로드. wind turbines now power the equivalent of nearly 13 million American homes, or as many as in Nevada, Colorado, Wisconsin, Virginia, Alabama, and Connecticut combined 다운로드. In addition, 50 gigawatts (GW) of wind power capacity:
- Represents the generating power of 44 coal-fired power plants, or 11 nuclear power plants 판타지 다운로드.
- Avoids emitting as much carbon dioxide as taking 14 million cars off the road.
- Conserves 30 billion gallons of water a year compared to thermal electric generation, since wind energy uses virtually no water 다운로드.
To put this into perspective, it is estimated that the United States used 3.9 million gigawatts in 2011 다운로드.
Now back to the good news, projects recently connected to the grid:
- Pattern Energy’s Spring Valley wind farm, 30 miles east of Ely, Nevada (151.8 megawatts, or MW)
- Enel Green Power North America’s Rocky Ridge wind farm in Oklahoma (148.8 MW)
- enXco’s Pacific Wind project in Kern County, California (140 MW)
- Utah Associated Municipal Power’s Horse Butte project in Idaho (57.6 MW)
- First Wind’s Kaheawa Wind II wind farm in Hawaii (21 MW)
50,000 megawatts = 50 gigawatts
It took us a long time to hit 10 MW in 2006, then much less to hit 25 MW in 2008, and now, in 2012, we are at 50 MW 다운로드. The ramp-up continues all over the country as 39 states now have wind power feeding their grids. There is even good news on the “Made in USA” front with 60% of the sourcing coming from home, compared to 25% in 2005 다운로드.
Continue reading American wind power reaches 50-gigawatt milestone
From the Fresh Energy blog and a good reminder that most experts have trouble thinking exponentially 윈도우 보안 패치 다운로드.
- In 2000, the International Energy Agency (IEA) published its World Energy Outlook, predicting that non-hydro renewable energy would comprise 3 percent of global energy by 2020. That benchmark was reached in 2008 다운로드.
- In 2000, IEA projected that there would be 30 gigawatts of wind power worldwide by 2010, but the estimate was off by a factor of 7. Wind power produced 200 gigawatts in 2010, an investment of approximately $400 billion 다운로드.
- In 1999, the U.S. Department of Energy estimated that total U.S. wind power capacity could reach 10 gigawatts by 2010. The country reached that amount in 2006 and quadrupled between 2006 and 2010 윈도우 서버 업데이트 다운로드.
- In 2000, the European Wind Energy Association predicted Europe would have 50 gigawatts of wind by 2010 and boosted that estimate to 75 two years later. Actually, 84 gigawatts of wind power were feeding into the European electric grid by 2012 다운로드.
- In 2000, IEA estimated that China would have 2 gigwatts of wind power installed by 2010. China reached 45 gigawatts by the end of 2010. The IEA projected that China wind power in 2020 would be 3.7 gigawatts, but most projections now exceed 150 gigawatts, or 40 times more consolas 폰트 다운로드.
- In 2000, total installed global photovoltaic solar capacity was 1.5 gigawatts, and most of it was off-the-grid, like solar on NASA satellites or on cabins in the mountains or woods 드럼 효과음 다운로드.
- In 2002, a top industry analyst predicted an additional 1 gigawatt annual market by 2010. The annual market in 2010 was 17 times that at 17 gigawatts 다운로드.
- In 1996, the World Bank estimated 0.5 gigwatts of solar photovoltaic in China by 2020, but China reached almost double that mark—900 megawatts by 2010 다운로드.
Continue reading 8 clean energy predictions from a decade ago…that were way wrong
Here’s how they did it, and how we can too
This is what can happen when citizens and government agree that it’s worth spending a bit more for clean, carbon-free power:
German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity – equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity – through the midday hours of Friday and Saturday, the head of a renewable energy think tank has said … Norbert Allnoch, director of the Institute of the Renewable Energy Industry in Muenster, said the 22 gigawatts of solar power fed into the national grid on Saturday met nearly 50% of the nation’s midday electricity needs 유튜브 영화 다운로드.
That’s right—half of all of Germany was powered by electricity generated by solar plants. That’s incredible. It was also world record-breaking 드롭 박스 오프라인 다운로드. Germany is pretty much singlehandedly proving that solar can be a major, reliable source of power—even in countries that aren’t all that sunny 다운로드.
And it’s the result, primarily, of two forces:
keep reading – Last Weekend, Half of…
Continue reading Last weekend, half of Germany was running on solar power