Laura June picked up on Siri’s interesting thoughts on certain movies. She loves those with robots and artificial intelligence…
Continue reading Funny movie reviews by Siri – Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien
This Monday, June 11, Apple will host one of its biggest events of the year, WWDC, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA. First thing in the morning will be the famous Keynote presentation where Apple’s top brass takes the stage to preview the latest treasures in their chest.
Here are just a few of those expected to be announced:
- iOS 6 – the banners advertising this at the conference are already being hung – a small update compared to iOS 5, but it does introduce Apple Maps (and kicks out Google Maps). A complete Facebook integration and bringing Siri to the iPad, among the rumors.
- iCloud – photo-sharing to social media sites and video stream, where videos are synced in the cloud.
- New Macs – the consensus seems to indicate that the entire Mac lineup will be refreshed with Retina Displays. With that as the primary change there could also be a shrinking of the MacBook Pro size and multiple spec updates.
With Apple’s notorious secrecy there is the potential for multiple big surprises. Plus, this will be the first WWDC without Steve Jobs so it will be interesting to see how Tim Cook and crew pave the way.
For an in-depth look at all these new features – 9to5 Mac – WWDC 2012 Roundup
Continue reading Apple’s WWDC 2012 Conference Preview – iOS 6, new Macs, iCloud update
When Apple announced the new iPhone the hubbub was over the hardware and the name (iPhone 4S and not iPhone 5).
Then there was this little buzz about Siri that kept popping up. Most of us ignored the announcement because of all the (negative) hoopla around voice-recognition.
Yet, many are predicting that this software, indeed an App, is the most revolutionary technology in the new phone. They may have a point. After all, it’s not the invention that creates the change, it’s the application of it and the ensuing massive adoption that does (think Henry Ford).
With that in mind, Apple might be on to something. They are bringing to the table a top-of-the-line smartphone, all of their native Apps, the best logic engine on the internet (Wolfram Alpha), and a massive user base.
A powerful combination that may cause the shift that creates the avalanche.
For more on this check out Paul Miller’s insightful, Why Siri just might work.
For me, I will definitely be using Siri as a Personal Assistant. There are at least five actions from the below list that I perform all the time:
- Set an alarm
- Take a note
- Send text
- Get driving directions
- Google anything
How about you, do you use any of these Apps?
- Address Book
Do you perform any of these actions?
- Querying Contacts – What’s Amy’s address?
- Finding Contacts – Show Amy Senger
- Relationships – My mom is Fran Tarkenton
- Adding events – create a meeting at 9
- Changing events – move meeting from 9am to 12pm
- Asking about events – what is my schedule for the rest of the day?
- Setting an alarm – wake me up tomorrow at 7am
- Check the clock – what is today’s date?
- Using a timer – set the timer for 20 minutes
- General reminder – remind me to take my umbrella
- Reminder to call – remind me to call mom
- Reminder to call, location – remind me to call mom when I get home
- Reminder to call, geo-fence – remind me to call mom when I leave here
- Reminder with time – remind me to call mom tomorrow morning
- Sending messages – e-mail Shawn: Surfing on Saturday?
- Checking messages – show last e-mail from Shawn
- Responding to messages – reply to Shawn, time change on Saturday works
- Check on Friends – where is Jesse?
- Temporary geo-fencing for events – GPS location of all friends during an event
- Directions – how do I get home?
- Local business – show nearest Starbucks
- Sending texts – tell Amy I’m coming home
- Reading texts – read new message
- Replying to texts – reply: yes I will pick up some milk
- Play music – play: Beatles – Let it Be
- Create notes – there once was a boy named Stevie
- Find notes – locate note about boy named Stevie
- Phone calls – call girlfriend
- Check stock price – what is Apple’s stock price?
- Check index price – how is the NASDAQ doing?
- Check details on stock – what is Apple’s P/E ratio?
- Forecast – what is the weather?
- Forecast date – what will the weather be tomorrow?
- Forecast time – what is the weather tonight?
- Forecast location – what is the weather in Berlin?
- Forecast details – is it windy today?
- Information search – find definition of hubbub
- Wolfram Alpha – square root of 52?
- Near unlimited google queries…
For an even more complete list TUAW has, What can you say to Siri?