It began with a frustrated blogpost by a distinguished mathematician 더 길티 다운로드. Tim Gowers and his colleagues had been grumbling among themselves for several years about the rising costs of academic journals.
They, like many other academics, were upset that the work produced by their peers, and funded largely by taxpayers, sat behind the paywalls of private publishing houses that charged UK universities hundreds of millions of pounds a year for the privilege of access 다운로드.
So, in January this year, Gowers wrote an article on his blog declaring that he would henceforth decline to submit to or review papers for any academic journal published by Elsevier, the largest publisher of scientific journals in the world 다운로드.
He was not expecting what happened next. Thousands of people read the post and hundreds left supportive comments. Within a day, one of his readers had set up a website, The Cost of Knowledge, which allowed academics to register their protest against Elsevier cs4 제품 다운로드.
The site now has almost 9,000 signatories, all of whom have committed themselves to refuse to either peer review, submit to or undertake editorial work for Elsevier journals 스케치업 한옥 다운로드. “I wasn’t expecting it to make such a splash,” says Gowers. “At first I was taken aback by how quickly this thing blew up.”
San Diego’s famous spiny lobsters are disappearing from…San Diego.
It’s partially a simple case of supply and demand. Lobster lovers in other markets—from L.A 연극대본 다운로드. to China—have a bigger demand, and they’re willing to pay for it.
“Our home consumer is getting priced out,” explains Catalina Offshore Products fishmonger Tommy Gomes stata 11. “A couple years ago, lobsters were $7 per pound. Now it’s $17 to $19. I’ve never seen such high prices.”
America’s high sustainability standards also drive up prices Agust d download. Fishing is limited to specified areas, during specified months. Quotas are tight. Spiny lobster can only be harvested using one trap on one fishing line 시트라 모바일 다운로드. “In some parts of the world,” says Paddy Glennon, vice president of sales at Santa Monica Seafood, “you can find 100 traps on one line across three miles.”
The goal of such restrictions—long-term survival of a crucial food source—is both admirable and necessary 어쌔신크리드 브라더후드 다운로드.
Lobster isn’t the first local delicacy to hop a red-eye out of San Diego.
“San Diego used to be the tuna capital of the world, but the exodus of the tuna fleet occurred when it became dolphin safe,” says American Tuna’s Natalie Webster 페블 워치 페이스 다운로드. “Now 84 percent of the fish the U.S. consumes is imported; we can’t compete with tuna processed in Thailand or third-world countries since we don’t pay people 25 cents a day.”
Ultimately, the consumer will decide whether keeping local food in town is worth the cost 다운로드. It’s not an easy sell, especially to Americans, who only spend 9.8 percent of their income on food—the lowest, globally.
“We are a culture that relishes cheap products, including seafood,” says Gomes 다운로드. “To save money, Americans are eating third-world frozen fish with phosphates and glazed with chemicals.”
The modern turkey (the Broad-Breasted White) has been selected generation after generation for two main traits: white meat and fast growth 어쌔신크리드 브라더후드 다운로드. The oversized breasts of the Broad-Breasted White render it incapable of flight or natural mating. As it matures, it has difficulty walking. The heritage turkey, on the other hand, is closely related to its wild ancestors; it is heartier, healthier, and capable of natural mating, running, and flying 페블 워치 페이스 다운로드. This enables farms raising heritage turkeys to raise them without drugs. It also makes them more work to raise.
Turkeys must meet all of the following criteria to qualify as a Heritage turkey:
1. Naturally mating: the Heritage Turkey must be reproduced and genetically maintained through natural mating, with expected fertility rates of 70-80% 다운로드. This means that turkeys marketed as “heritage” must be the result of naturally mating pairs of both grandparent and parent stock.
2 12명의 배심원 다운로드. Long productive outdoor lifespan: the Heritage Turkey must have a long productive lifespan. Breeding hens are commonly productive for 5-7 years and breeding toms for 3-5 years 다운로드. The Heritage Turkey must also have a genetic ability to withstand the environmental rigors of outdoor production systems.
3. Slow growth rate: the Heritage Turkey must have a slow to moderate rate of growth 바르샤바 1944. Today’s heritage turkeys reach a marketable weight in about 28 weeks, giving the birds time to develop a strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass 다운로드. This growth rate is identical to that of the commercial varieties of the first half of the 20th century.
Heritage Turkeys are the ancestors of the common Broad-breasted White industrial breed of turkey that comprises 99.99% of the supermarket turkeys sold today applet 파일 다운로드. But the Heritage Breeds still exist and are making a comeback.
More than ten different turkey breeds are classified as heritage turkeys, including the Auburn, Buff, Black,Bourbon Red, Narragansett, Royal Palm, Slate,Standard Bronze, and Midget White 다운로드.
Despite increasing interest in heritage turkeys, they are still a tiny minority, perhaps 25,000 raised annually compared to more than 200,000,000 industrial turkeys, and most heritage breeds are endangered in some respect.
photo by ExperienceLA
The company uses 260 million watts which is the output of 1/4 of a nuclear power plant.
For each google search we use 0.3 watt-hours of electricity 다운로드. I’m not sure how much that is but I do like the idea of server firing up when I type in “chad ocho cinco”.
This got me thinking about my last posts discussing how electricity is the main cause of global warming, the follow-up about my local power plant, and the popular solar parking lots 역도요정 김복주 3화 다운로드.
Electricity is the problem of the decade and any bit of savings we can get are huge. A little research shows that retail prices are shooting up, over 41% since 2000 (3.5%/year), and expected to go even higher 다운로드.
This website gives electricity prices for each state and here are the winners:
Highest average price, 2010
- Hawaii (25.12¢ per kWh)
- Connecticut (17.39¢)
- New York (16.31¢)
Lowest average price, 2010
- Kentucky (6.75¢)
- Idaho (6.54¢)
- Wyoming (6.20¢)
I hope you live in the one of the cheap states 다운로드!
Without further ado, here are my 5 favorite energy saving tips.
1. Hang-dry clothes like it’s Little House on the Prairie 베가스 프로 12. There ain’t no shame in letting your undies fly in the wind.
2. Shower quicker or turn off the water during the lather phase avd 동영상 다운로드. It feels weird at first but you get used to it. Remember, every time you touch warm water you are paying to heat it up. Do you use warm water in the hot summer to wash dishes or your hands 다운로드?
3. LED bulbs require some new knowledge. If you shop for one here is what the package will say, “6 Watt LED Replacement for a 50 Watt Incandescent.” That’s a near 90% reduction in lighting costs if you switch to LED but it’s not yet cheap with bulbs going from $12-30 다운로드.
4. Fresh Air…my mom raised me on the stuff. Always opening the windows for me to make sure I didn’t get stuffy. Now I need it all the time and that means no A/C for me 다운로드. I would rather sweat than breath recycled air. Huge energy saver for me.
5. Solar charger for phone. Life is better off the grid and to get started I purchased a solar doohickey. I haven’t plugged in my phone or iPad since. Tip: When buying solar, know that solar panels only produce energy, which means you need a battery pack to store the energy, otherwise you have to plug your phone in when the sun is shining.
What Are Your Tips?
If you’ve ever wanted to know why CPC is better than CPM and CPA here is a great description why.
CPM – cost-per-thousand
CPA – cost-per-action
CPC – cost-per-click
Cost-per-thousand (CPM) was huge in the early days and very simple, get paid by the thousand viewers 다운로드. But, it was it very limited in effectiveness. It placed all of the risk on the advertiser. They created the ad and made the payments, while all the website had to do was display the ad (often in the worst locations) 하나뿐인 사람 다운로드.
Then, cost-per-action (CPA) came into play where the website had to actually close a deal. The website didn’t get paid unless they got a viewer to buy something (or sign-up for something) 다운로드. This is the most common program used by the wide range of affiliate companies who offer high percentages (5%-15%) of the sale. But, this switches the game by placing all the risk on the website 다운로드. The website places the ad and no matter how many views or clicks it receives they only get paid if the viewer commits the desired action. The advertiser receives all the free views and clicks with no impetus to create a compelling ad 입장정리 다운로드.
Finally, the balance came with cost-per-click (CPC). In this case the website gets paid for each click on the ad and it forces them to display it in the best possible spot 무쥬라의 가면 다운로드. It also encourages the advertiser to create an interesting and relevant ad because they still need to convert the click into an action (purchase, sign-up) 스타크래프트 맵핵 다운로드.