What is an enhanced book?
An enhanced book is an e-book that includes special features, such as:
- Interactive sections (like animated maps)
- Gigabytes of photos/illustrations
- Multiple storylines with quests and achievements
- Expanded annotations (like whole speeches)
They are designed for tablets like the Kindle Fire and Apple’s iPad.
On a personal note, these books are endlessly fascinating to me. They remind me of the difference between the encyclopedia and Wikipedia. Page turning with indexes compared to clicking and searching.
I grew up with encyclopedia sets but have since fallen in love with Wikipedia. Is it possible I will feel the same way about enhanced books compared to paper books?
Hard to say, but looking at the special features below this genre is here to stay.
Best Enhanced books of 2011 – iTunes Rewind
- 22 minutes of video
- They range from archival footage of Jacqueline Kennedy to recent videos of Caroline Kennedy and Michael Beschloss speaking about the book
- Accompanying annotations from leading presidential historian Michael Beschloss inform readers on political details of the era
- Bonus video produced by an Emmy–Award winning team, hosted by Bob Costas and featuring official NFL video highlights
- Examples: The Immaculate Reception. The Ice Bowl. The Music City Miracle. The Catch.
iTunes recently released their 2011 list in the form of iTunes Rewind which covers several categories, including podcasts.
Unfortunately, it’s not available online, only in iTunes, so I pulled it out for us.
Best of All
- Best New Audio – The Jillian Michaels Show
- Best Audio – NPR’s Fresh Air
- Best New Video – Epic Meal Time
- Best Video – TED Talks
Best New Comedy
News & Politics
Best New News/Politics
Best New Technology
Games and Hobbies
Best New Games/Hobbies
Best New Arts
I’ve done a series of Thanksgiving posts in preparation for one of my favorite holiday’s.
- My Family Thanksgiving 2011
- Too-fat to fly, the real Thanksgiving turkey
- What is a Heritage Turkey?
- Mary’s Turkeys (video)
- Thanksgiving stuffing the Southern way – cornbread dressing